Roof maintenance can lengthen the life of your roof
A new roof is one of the biggest investments you will make as a homeowner. You can protect that investment by performing simple, regular roof maintenance and taking precautions that will limit the risk of storm damage.
- Check for leaks in attics and the interior of your home and garage. Even a small water stain or minor drip should be checked and repaired immediately to prevent costly damage to your home.
- Trim tree branches that overhang your home and remove deadwood from nearby trees. A hanging or loose branch can cause significant shingle damage in high wind situations.
- After a storm and on a regular basis, check your roof for loose, missing, or damaged shingles. Often these issues can be observed from the ground and if you suspect damage, you can schedule a professional inspection.
- Maintain an efficient roofing drainage system by cleaning gutters and downspouts regularly.
- Flashing and seals around chimneys, vent pipes, and in roof valleys typically need an up-close inspection. While we encourage you to contact a professional for this job, if you do plan to climb on your roof for any reason, warm weather is the best time to do it. Never walk on your roof during cold weather when brittle shingles are more easily damaged and roofing materials could be slick.
- Check roof ventilation and attic insulation to protect your roof during hot weather and prevent ice dams during cold weather. Ice dams occur when melting snow is unable to drain off the roof and ice forms at the edge. Additional snow melt is now blocked from draining, leading to leaks and ultimately damaging shingles, siding, insulation and even walls. Removing excessive icicles and installing roof heating coils can help prevent this.
Get professional help
Finding problems early is the best roof maintenance you can do, but you don’t have to risk climbing on your roof yourself. Call the roofing experts at Tony Newman Roofing for a thorough inspection and a free estimate. We’ve been serving the greater Akron area for more than 30 years and our A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau means you can trust us.
We offer roofing maintenance programs customized to protect and lengthen the life of your residential or commercial roof. For details about our programs and to schedule a personal inspection of your property, call us today.
To receive a free Roof Troubleshooting Kit from Owens Corning, call 1-800-GET-PINK.